[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Variations in Visual Leonid Rates

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> Looking at the variations in reported rates among experianced
observers in the
> eastern USA for the morning of Nov. 16/17 brings to mind a coversation
I had
> with John Bortle at a Stellafane convention several years ago. The
subject of
> variations among experianced observers in the same time zone at the
same time
> for the Leonids was discussed. The point we agreed on was that there
was
> something more than fatigue or perception at work, and that this
effect might
> have an objective cause. I believe that it was he who had suggested a
possible
> explanation, that this was due to a micro-filamentary structure, or
clumps in
> the filamentary sheets of the Leonid stream. Does anyone agree, or
disagree?

George,

I would tend to disagree. You could bring all of those observers
together at the same location and at the same time and still get the
same scattered results. I do believe in the micro-filamentary structure,
but perceptions and local conditions aside, observers in the same
general regions should see the same activity and variations in that
activity.

Bob