[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio Leonids-Ashcraft

Regarding Leonid peaks:

Someone (Joe Rao?) wrote:
>>>There are two specific time frames to be especially alert to. One is
> when the Earth crosses the comet's node, which is to occur at 13:34 UT
> on Monday. ...The other time frame is 10:40 UT.
> This corresponds to the moment when the Earth will be passing that part
of
> 55P/Tempel-Tuttle's orbit which produced the epic meteor storm of 1966.
> According to Mr. Peter Brown of the International Meteor Organization
(IMO)
> some slight enhanced activity has been noted near this region of space
during
> the last two Leonid showers. <<<

It's taking a while but I am processing my radio meteor audio tapes from
November 17 by listening under headphones and noting times with pencil and
paper. My tape shows enhanced fireball/(cluster?) activity beginning at
1027:55 UT with much denser activity starting at 1030:24 UT that doesn't
subside till 1039 UT. After that there are fireballs noted with duration
times of:

1040:40-1041:45
1044:14-1045:45
1047:28-1048:24
1051:59-1055:10

It is interesting to note that prior to that sustained activity there
seemed to be a gap in fireballs from 0957 UT until 1019 UT when a 51 second
duration reflection occurred. There were plenty of meteor reflections but
no longer duration receptions.

I have now listened to 0900-1200UT and hope to process through 1400 UT
today.

I must say that processing meteors in the midst of white noise under
headphones like this is hard on the ears.

Tom Ashcraft
35.41 N 105.57 W
Santa Fe, New Mexico