[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball I observed

I received this one in today's load of email. Promise not to post it but
once this time..... ;)

Mark Davis
NAMN Coordinator

*********************************
>Date: Thu, 20 Nov 97 11:01:35
>From: gromko@us.ibm.com
>Subject: Fireball I observed
>To: MeteorObs@Charlestondot net
>
>Mark, I don't even consider myself an amature observer, but I'm constantly
looking up at night and over the years I have seen some really nice
fireballs. This was topped by the one I saw last monday night. I will fill
out one of your forms but I not savvy on compass points and latitudes.  I
live in Fishkill,NY.(80mi north of NY
>City) It was Monday Nov. 17 8:40 pm(approx). I was facing North Northeast.
The fireball was low on the horizon moving from east to west. It was about 5
to 6 seconds in duration. The color was bright blue with orange fringe. The
size was 1/3 as large as the horizon in front of me. As it burned out,the
rock glowed orange with black areas as it cooled. I did not notice any sound
but I had traffic nearby. The reason I am writing is that this was the
largest event I ever witnessed. It was as if someone had opened up the sky
with a razor knife and let the sun in. My vision was like a flash bulb went
off in my face even 5 mins later when I walked home. Only my dog was with me
and it got his attention too. Thanks.

<end>