[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Photography Exposures/Full Moon

After my photographic efforts with this years Leonid meteor shower under near
full moon conditions, I've examined my negatives to see what exposure times
would be adequate. I used two camera's. One was guided with a 28mm f/2.8
lens. The other was unguided with a 50mm f/2.0 lens. I used Black and White
HP-5 film (400ASA) in both cameras. I developed the film in T-Max developer
for an ISO rating of 1600. Both camera's were aimed towards the darkest part
of the sky. Which was in a Northerly direction at about 55 degrees above the
horizon. The following is what I've concluded:

1) Guided Camera with a 28mm f/2.8 lens:  10 to 15 minutes produced negatives
from which prints can be made without too much difficulty. If necessary,
exposures up to 18 minutes can be made. Any longer than 18 minutes, the
negatives start to become quite dense and print making becomes more of a
challenge.

2) Unguided Camera 50mm f/2.0 lens: 5 minutes is ideal, but up to 10 minutes
will also produce useable negatives as well.

The upcoming 1997 Geminids will also be under full moon conditions. If you
desire to use a camera, you might want to consider the set-up and exposures I
used for the Leonids as a guide. If you go beyond the maximum times I have
listed, you will probably be approaching the point of having bullet-proof
negatives. That is they won't pass sufficient light in the dark room enlarger
to make a useful print.
George Zay