[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RESEND: (meteorobs) radio observations during enhanced meteor activity

[Resent for Sirko Molau: message not originally included in Web archive...]

Tom, Norman, Jim,
thanks for your interesting replies!

Jim wrote:

> >Any idea how to overcome the fault? Any experiences how to cope with that
> >type of saturation from the AMS Radiometeor experts?
>
> Your last statement has me squirming uncomfortably.  Let me plainly state
> that I have never claimed to be any sort of "expert" in this field.  All i
> have to do is read a chapter in McKinley or talk to a Ph. D. researcher in
> this area to reinforce the fact that i am a very tiny fish with an aweful
> lot yet to learn.

Well, with that you *are* an expert compared to me, who has almost no
ideas about radio observation. :-)
What I wanted to say is, that the AMS has been experimenting with radio
equipment for quite a long time. So I guess some of you gained
good experience in this field by now, don't you?

> One final thing to keepin mind.  Based upon the Giacobinid account, it
> might be possible for the incoming meteor flux to reach the point that the
> E-layer itself saturates, in which case it won't make much difference what
> your system configuration is.  The system would see a continuous strong
> signal, perhaps punctuated by some stronger single events.  It will be
> interesting to see if individual events and shower rates can still be
> picked out during this condition -- if it indeed even occurs.  The
> professionals now are much better equiped than they were in 1966.

This was my main concern. So far we've seen nothing compared to the real
storm that hopefully occurs next year. To my understanding, Leonids rates
several order of magnitudes higher than in 1997 would produce a kind of
overall ionization of the respective atmospheric layer resulting in
continuous radio reflection. If that happens, it wouldn't help you much to
tune your system to another frequency or so. Here the questions arises,
what you can do to escape saturation.
Best regards, Sirko

*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *                          *
*  Ahornstr. 55, D-52056 Aachen, Germany      *              __          *
*                                             *       " 2B v 2B "        *
*  phone: +49-241-8021615                     *                          *
*  fax  : +49-241-8888219                     *             Shakespeare  *
*  email: molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de     *                          *
*  www  : http://www.snafudot de/~smo            *                          *