[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonids '66

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> George and everyone else:
>
> The Leonids maybe were not a "storm", but it I saw your rates (My
rate for
> this month is 0.5 meteors per hour.  Not very good) I would  love it!
I have a
> question during the last Leonid storm, in 1966,  how were the
fantastic rates
> counted?  It's sort of hard to count to  100,000 in one hour.
>
> Jonathan,

During the peak of the 66 Leonid observers made an estimate of the
hourly rate by estimating the number of meteors visible during a one
second period. They came up with an estimate of 40 which gives 2,400
meteors visible each minute or an hourly rate of  144,000.

Robert Lunsford