[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) minor reconfiguration work at www.imodot net

Dear friends,

>     For the past several days I have been unable to connect to IMO site...
>   (Netscape says "no response from server")...  haven't had problems
>   connecting to DMS site... so I was wondering if IMO server has been down or
>   some such thing...

indeed, some of you will encounter temporary problems when trying to
contact the web site of IMO in these days.

Early this week, some network configuration work was carried out at the
Belgian host site of our web pages. Among other things, the host became a
new IP address.

We immediately changed the corresponding name server entries for
the imodot net domain. However, at each Internet site there is a cache for IP
adresses which we cannot influence. That is, once you contact www.imodot net
for the first time, the IP address is obtained from our name server and
then stored locally for about a week. All further requests to
www.imodot net get the IP address from that local cache, until the entry
expires after 7 days. Only then the address is request from us again.

Practically that has the following consequences: Everybody who contacted
our web site last week (including me :-) cannot access the server for
about seven days, since he/she uses the old address. Then
your computer automatically retrieves the new IP address.

If you want to access our homepage in these days anyway, try
http://charlie.luc.acdot be/ but, please, do *not* bookmark that URL.
http://www.imodot net/ still remains our correct WWW address.

Once I'm speaking about some technical things, I also want to mention
two problems we have with the IMO-News mailing list.

The first thing are some error messages, which those who post to IMO-News
receive sometimes. We tried to trace the reason for this and hope to
overcome the problem by installing the Majordodo mailing list software in
the next time.

Secondly, some of you reported having contact problems to our site.
Namely, some postings to IMO-News got lost 'somewhere in the Internet'.
Here I want to remind you to the following: Our server is a computer at an
Belgian university. Thanks to the initiative of Marc Gyssens, we have the
chance to offer our services from there without any costs. It will be
difficult to find another machine with similar good circumstances.

So, please, contact me privately (not via the mailing list!) if you
encounter any problems when contacting our web site or sending messages to
IMO-News. Meanwhile we will try to find a better backup server to ensure
smoother running of the system. If the number of people having access
problems with our site becomes too large, we will have to find another
solution.

Best regards, Sirko Molau
IMO Webmaster
IMO-News Operator