[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Predicted '97 GEMINID max

THANK YOU, BOTH RAINER AND MARCO FOR YOUR FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL RESPONSES!

  Joseph

Op Fri, 5 Dec 1997 Joseph_Assmus@pace-post.ucsddot edu schreef:

>           Greetings All,
>
>           In the IMO calander, the '97 GEMINID max is predicted for
>           Dec 13, 22 UT.
>
>           In DMS Streams/Events the max is predicted for
>           Dec 14, ~5 UT
>
>           Is is really somewhere in between??
>
>           Joseph
>           Sad Diego, CA

Hi Joseph,

Indeed, there are some uncertainties in the actual peak time of the
Geminids. Untill last year, we used a solar longitude which corresponds
to 0h UT on dec 14, pretty close to the 22h UT of IMO. But in 1996, the
maximum seemed to occur a
few hours later in solar longitude, hence the 5h UT on our website
. That time is thus coming from the apparent peak time of the 1996 maximum.

So perhaps it is 22h UT, perhaps 5h UT, perhaps in between. Another extra
reason to observe! It means there is still something to do concerning the
Geminid activity profile. Of course, you American guys should hope it is
5h UT because then you are quite near the maximum (allas, the
moonlight.....).

-Marco Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society