[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Electrophonic Sounds

At 12:22 AM 12/10/97 EST, you wrote:
>Congratulations to Graham Wolf for his article being published in Meteorite!

Glad to hear about the article, Graham! By the way, would either Graham or
Kevin be willing to summarize the contents of the article for 'meteorobs'?
I imagine many subscribers with an interest in electrophonic sounds don't
take Meteorite! Magazine (or at least I don't :>).

[By the way, for newer subscribers, electrophonic sounds are those very
rare sounds reportedly heard by some observers SIMULTANEOUSLY with a bright
fireball. They are clearly distinct from the sonic booms and/or explosions
which can sometimes be heard from meteors - but only several minutes after
the visible event. The theories about electrophonic sounds seem to fall
into two camps: one, that they are a psychological effect and not really
"heard" at all; and two, that they are produced by low-frequency radio
waves from a meteor causing an audible resonance with metallic objects near
the observer.]

Lew