[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor Elevations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

> Lew again:
> >Regarding the two methods of meteor magnitude estimation, I have to
admit
> >that I actually regularly use both! It could be because my
> >magnitude-estimating skills are not practiced enough to be "innate"
yet,
> >but I frequently find myself correcting magnitude estimates by doing
> >comparison with stars NEAR where the meteor was observed. In fact, as
my
> >knowledge of good comparison stars around the sky grows, I actually
do
> >this
> >MORE often.

Wayne replied:

>          Once again, I am focused on my Field of View, and therefore
that is
> the area where I know the most magnitudes on a particular night. Of
course,
> back when the weather was better, I had a pretty good feel for most of
the
> sky, but lately, I have to study fuerst (HaHA).
>         I generally compare the meteor to the closest star to it with
> similar magnitude. I guess that's a good case for recording meteor
elevation
> data. ( I do note this in comments for low elevation meteors  where
the
> atmosphereic extinction is signifigant...< 30 degree elevation) How
bout
> others? I know many must have answered this in the past, but I do  not
recall
> the methods that experienced/prolific observers use.

This is also the method I use and recommend. I would suggest memorizing
the magnitudes of as many stars as possible which are close to 2.0, 3.0,
and 4.0 and then it is possible to compare the meteor to the closet star
to it with a similar magnitude as Wayne stated.

Bob