[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dec. 10 Meteor Observations

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Well I finally got some clear skies during a day off so I took advantage
of it and watched for 3 hours from the backyard. The gibbous moon was
present for the first 20 minutes. I managed to see 17 meteors which
included activity from the Geminids, Sigma Hydrids, Coma Berenicids, and
Puppid-Velids. Although brighter meteors were seen, the highlight of the
night was a slow Puppid-Velid which left a 25 degree path through Leo.
There were also two bright Geminids seen, a -2 and a -4. It was quite
cold for San Diego this morning as frost was evident on all of the roofs
and the tip of my nose!

1030-1130 UT   0.96   5.47   3 GEM   2 HYA   3 SPO   8 TOTAL

1130-1230 UT   0.97   5.61   5 SPO   5  TOTAL

1230-1330 UT   0.97   5.61   1 COM   1 GEM   1 PPV   1 SPO   4 TOTAL

The data includes: Universal Time for each block of time, the actual
fraction of time spent observing, the average Limiting Magnitude during
each block of time, and the shower activity seen. COM = Coma Berenicid,
GEM = Geminid, HYA = Sigma Hydrid, SPO = Sporadic (random meteor).

The sky was clear during the entire session. There were no obstructions
and no breaks were taken. Time was lost due to plotting.  I was facing
south at an altitude of 70 degrees during this session.

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   39 F (4 C)   64%

Ending Temperature/Relative Humidity:   36 F (2 C)  72%

Bob Lunsford