[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Meteor Elevations

At 01:30 PM 12/10/97 -0500, Bob wrote:
>I would suggest memorizing the magnitudes of as many stars as possible...
>and then it is possible to compare the meteor to the closest star to it

Based on that input from Bob (which coincidentally was also both Wayne's
and my technique), it sounds like the absolute magnitude estimation would
have to ignore atmospheric extinction, Jim. But are there others who rely
mainly on that "innate magnitude sense" Jim describes? After all, I know
this sense exists, because I catch myself using it in place of comparison
with stars too!

Lew