[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Where to look for LM Counting Areas

Lew quoted Rainer; I have selected only a portion:

>Now for the practical side: You know extinction can vary greatly.
>Moreover,
>star count areas are not in the zenith generally. So you may use any
>fields
>down to
>50deg without problem. And please don't start another discussion because
>you
>once chose a field at 40deg elevation---it's ok (extinction is about .1mag
>there). If it is really hazy and you endeavour to observe, you will
>automatically choose a field close to the zenith where the sky is best,
>and
>you
>will not have the problem with an incorrect balancing as said above.>

Rainer

So I read that as pretty much in the area of FOV. Especially here in the
Northeast, where LIGHT POLLUTION MAN has not struck them down, and light
domes and haze are a real issue, it seems to me that since the purpose of
LM estimates is to figure how many meteors of each magnitude class you are
likely to see IN YOUR FIELD OF VIEW, that this really is the method that
best accomplishes what we are using it for.

ka-ching, ka-ching (2 cents deposited)

Wayne