[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Where to look for LM Counting Areas

>it seems to me that since the purpose of  LM estimates is
>to figure how many meteors of each magnitude class you are
>likely to see IN YOUR FIELD OF VIEW, that this really is the
>method that best accomplishes what we are using it for.
>Wayne

I don't claim to have fully comprehended the ZHR calculation yet: there may
in fact be some reason for using near-zenith LM estimates, even when your
field of view is centered at 50o elevation. (Is there, Rainer?)

But Wayne's arguments do make sense to *me*. Only thing is, I think this
would actually imply taking a SCATTERING of LM estimates all around one's
80o, 100o, or even 140o diameter field of vision! And then correcting these
estimates for one's peripheral perception in areas removed from the CFV.
And then keeping one's head nearly rigid throughout the session, so as to
not bias all these corrections... Ugh, this is starting to sound fairly
nasty!

Fly-in-the-Ointment Lew