[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) FWD from Keith Evanson- Steel-the star material

Keith>>I have heard it said that a meteor's journey through the atmosphere is
akin
to a metallurgical refining process.  The resultant meteorite is supposedly
a crudely-refined material with an iron base. <<

Keith, I think the only parts of a meteorite that may go thru any significant
heating as it passed thru the atmosphere, would be found only on the outside
edges...or the crust. While a glowing meteor, the object would be quite cold
inside I would think?
Therefore I don't think the internal structure would be changed much if any?
The raw materials would still be intact.
George Zay

 Keith>>According to my source, ancient peoples would manufacture tools from
meteorite material and in
several old languages, the word "steel" actually translates into "star
metal".<<

I've heard this too. The ancient Egyptians made some tools from an iron
meteorite mainly for ritual purposes. There may have been for other purposes
as well? They also believed that the meteors seen in the sky was a dead
pharoahs semen. I think I will stop here before it gets really complicated.
George Zay