[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Electrophonic Sounds

At 05:29 PM 12/11/97 -0500, you wrote:
>What is the faintest magnitude anyone has [heard] an electrophonic sound?

Jonathan, the only two I've ever heard were a -7 during last year's
Leonids, and an unrecorded bolide (probably fainter than -10) when I was
about 13.

Has anyone else on the list even HEARD such sounds?

PS: By the way, Jonathan, I wanted to answer your earlier question re: why
aren't electrophonic sounds just the sound of the meteor hitting the
atmosphere? The reason this is not possible is that any sound generated
DIRECTLY by the meteor would be generated at least 80 km from the observer:
such a sound would therefore take at least several minutes to reach your
ears after you saw the fireball's light. (Don't forget, the speed of sound
in air is many, many, MANY times slower than the speed of light!)

Lew