[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Rocks, not metal.

>>Wayne - "Pure and simple Gravity. An object falling to the earth from space
will accelerate at 32 ft/ sec/sec. "<<

Wayne, thanks for the refresher on Newtonian physics.  I hadn't thought
about it in these exact terms.  The "minimum velocity" concept is now
crystal clear.

>>Wayne - "Most meteorites that reach the ground are derived from
asteroids, hence a dense mixture of various proportions of rock, iron, and
nickel."<<

Ah-hah!  There, you said it--IRON and NICKEL!  Now we're on to something.
I guess I need to learn more about asteroid compositions to tie this all
together.  Perhaps there are already chunks of metal floating around in
space that end up becoming meteorites here on Earth.

Again: the request for sources.  Sure would be nice if you guys could do my
literature search for me.   ;o)

Well, you folks are telling me stuff that tends to refute my source's
information about the refining of metal from meteoritic ore as it travels
through the atmosphere.  It sure would be cool to have some connection
between my field (metallurgy) and that of meteor science.  I'm not going to
get discouraged, though, and will still ask for some good, scientific
information on meteorite compositions.

Thanks again, Keith.