[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Steel -- the "star metal"?

<< I have heard that the only iron available to the ancient Egyptians, who
worked
 mainly in copper,  came from meteorites.  Apparently they knew of its
celestial
 origin since  I believe their word for iron was derived from one of their
words
 pertaining to either the gods or heavens.  As the copper age drew to a close
the
 Hittites were able to shower the Egyptians with iron as did the gods.
However
 they did with arrows, spears and and the occasional sword. >>

Possible... the Eskimos have used chippings from "the Woman", "the Dog", and
"the Tent" know known as the Ahnighito (Cape York) Meteorite for knives and
spearheads for many years until 1895 when Peary simply asked for them. The
Eskimos feeling that there was no way to move them (the Woman weighed 2 3/4
ton) told Peary "if you can take it you can have it." Well to make a long
story short - Ahnighito is now in the American Museum of Natural History in
NYC, and has been there since 1897.

Kevin