[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor heat transfer coefficients?

Probably the best book that deals with physics of meteor phenomena is
Bronsten's 'Physics of meteor phenomena'. I don't have it with me to check
if there are any coeficients listed, but I'm pretty sure you'll find
everything there. That's nice part...

Bad part is that I know only about Russian edition of the book. Reference
for it is:

Bronshten V.A., 'Fizika Meteornyh Yavlenij', 1981, Nauka, Moskva

As I remember, for most of the calculations in single body theory of
meteors there are two constants that have to deal with heat conduction:
coeficient of heat transfer (portion of kinetic energy that is spent on
ablation), which is usualy taken to be L=0.5, and specific heat of
ablation, which is almost the same for both stone and metal meteoroids
Z=8*10^6J/kg.

These estimates are valid for single body theory which doesn't examine
heat transfer inside the meteor particle. I remember that once we
calculated that (initial) mass of the body should be more than one
kilogram (and is almost the same for metal and stone meteoroids -
differences in density, heat conduction and capacity compensate each
other) for these effects to be significant. However, we worked out
everything in linear form, more or less as generalization of
Hoppe-Oepik-Whipple SB theory - I'm not sure if this is 'legal' for the
case of large body.

Vladimir