Subj:  Extremely bright fireball
Date:  97-12-13 00:03:46 EST
From:  AreciboVLA

	Tonight at around 7:56 p.m. CST  in the Des Moines area a brilliant flash lit
up the sky with the same appearance as a bolt of lightning. I thought to
myself, this isn't right, it's a clear night! I looked up and saw  nothing but
a trail of smoke. It made the top story on the local news and was reported to
be seen from northern Illinois to Omaha NE. Some people reported the ground to
be shaking shortly after the flash and others reported loud booms.To give you
an idea of the magnitude of this fireball, it was about as the Sun.
							Just thought you'd like to know-
								Alex