[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Rocks, not metal.

<< >>Wayne - "Most meteorites that reach the ground are derived from
 asteroids, hence a dense mixture of various proportions of rock, iron, and
 nickel."<<

 Ah-hah!  There, you said it--IRON and NICKEL!  Now we're on to something.
 I guess I need to learn more about asteroid compositions to tie this all
 together.  Perhaps there are already chunks of metal floating around in
 space that end up becoming meteorites here on Earth.   >>

Actually most of the meteorites found are 'stones'.  There are 3 basic types:
stones from the crust of another world, stony-irons are from the mantle, and
finally irons from the core. Most irons contain between 7 and 13 percent
nickel.

Kevin