[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio peak

Norman Davis wrote:
> [...]
0500z
but is still more active than normal. When is the peak supose to occure?<<<

Norman,

I believe the Geminid peak was predicted for 2236 UT on Dec 13. (Someone
please correct me if this isn't right.) But supposedly this peak isn't a
sharp peak. I noted very strong activity during your times as well from my
radio observatory in New Mexico.

Saturday evening I powered up my array at (Dec 14) 0100 UT (6 pm local
time) and began to hear meteors at 0130 (6:30 pm local) as the Geminid
radiant rose above the horizon and became accesssible to my radios. It is
an exciting experience to hear a radio meteor shower rise above the
horizon. At 6:30 pm local on a non-meteor shower day there will be few
radio meteor reflections typically at the 6 pm hour so the Geminids set
themselves off distinctly.

See Gary Kronk's web page at
http://medinfo.wustldot edu/~kronkg/geminids.html for good info on the
Geminids. This shower is supposedly asteroidal in origin rather than
cometary.

Next strong radio shower will be the Quadrantids the first week in January.
It is a very dynamic radio shower. After the Quadrantids then there won't
be much radio meteor activity until April or so. Except for morning
sporadics each day.

Clear skies,
Tom Ashcraft
Santa Fe, New Mexico