[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) GEMINIDS 12/12-13/97 (So Calif)

     A Windy and Wet Southern Calif GREETINGS all:

     As George posted today, we here in So Cal have been experiencing severe
  hurricane-strength winds!!  Photos in the SD daily yesterday showed full
  semi-trailer trucks that had been simply BLOWN OVER and RIPPED OPEN like a
  can of sardines by 96 mph winds!  And this happened days after we got hit
  with big rains...  Let me say... EL NINO IS HERE!!!  The winds have subsided
  but we do have lots of cloud cover... starting last night (the night of the
  predicted maximum.. but more on that later)

     I observed the night before the predicted GEMINID maximum from the
  same spot I observed the LEONIDS this year.. just down the street from my
  place.  It was a chilly 42deg F.   Skies were clear.. but that ^#$% moon!
  Thinking it'd be wise to get in a "shadowed" area,  I positioned my chair
  adjacent to a 40-50 ft jacaranda tree (the only tree on this vast 100+ acre
  field).  Still, my LMs were worse this night then back in November for the
  LEONID.   I observed for 2 one-hour intervals (0208-0308 PST & 0320-0420
  PST).  Considering the washed-out sky and all, I was moderately satisfied
  to count a total of 28 meteors, Teff = 1.92hr.  The highlight of the session
  was seeing 2 very very nice -1 GEMs.  My field of view was centered in Leo
  Minor, near beta Leonis Minoris... if I read my Tirion atlas correct, RA/Dec
  coordinates are ~+36deg,11h30".  Here are the formal data (for GEM/non-GEM
  only)

                         GEMINID METEOR SHOWER - 1997
                               VISUAL REPORT
                          Southern California,  USA
                         ---------------------------

  DATE:  Dec 12/13, 1997      Begin: 1008 UT   End:  1220 UT
  OBSERVER: ASSJO (Joseph D. Assmus)
  LOCATION: Long:117o 09'21" W;  Lat:32o 42'53" N;  Elev: ~0m (3km to ocean)
  CITY & STATE:  La Jolla, CA USA  (~25km N of San Diego)
  METHOD: Counting/Manual

  Period(UT)   Field(RA/Dec)   Teff   LM     GEM    SPO      TOT
  0208-0308    11:30/+36deg    .95    5.1     12     4        16
  0320-0420         "          .97    5.1      9     3        12
                              1.92    5.1     21     7        28

  Magnitude Distribution Data
  --------------------------------------------------------------+-------
  Shower   -5   -4   -3   -2   -1   0    1    2    3    4    5  |  Mean
  --------------------------------------------------------------+-------
  GEM                           2   3    4    6    5    2       |  1.71
  SPO                                    1    1    1    4       |  3.14

  Limiting Magnitude Data

               Star Count Area
                  3      9
        -----------------------
  Time   0208    4.5    4.45
         0238    5.2    5.0
         0308    5.2    5.0
         0320    5.2    5.0
         0350    5.2    5.0
         0420    5.2    5.0

    I was hoping for a good second night of observing and packed my things
  Saturday night and headed for the mountains.  A heavy cloud cover engulfed
  the area so I was hoping Descanso (Zay site) would be nice and clear...
  plus I haven't observed w/ Geo and Bob in a while... by Descanso, the clouds
  were still thick... the only thing I could see when i stuck my neck out the
  window was a perfectly beautiful lunar halo... though, I didnt drive 40
  miles to the mountains in cold weather to see a freakin' lunar halo!!! I
  kept pressing on... the clouds gotta dissipate soon I thought... I was now
  70 miles from home, near Campo, CA and still... cloud cover/lunar halo. 15
  more miles...  STILL CLOUDY!  It was now 0130 PST.  Turned around for the 85
  mile ride home.  Appropriately, there was local radio station playing old
  classic blues (I DID grow up in Chicago) so I cranked it up and smiled all
  the way home.  Back in La Jolla, now almost 3am, I look up and it's clear as
  a bell. Figures!!   So, to reward myself, I dropped my car off, grabbed 2
  cans of beer at home, and went to my field, sat in my chair and drank those
  2 beers and enjoyed the show... I guess I must've seen ~15-20 meteors
  between 3-4am local time.  after all that driving... just didnt feel like
  doin' the formal data thing... (sorry;>)

  Best Regards and Happy Holidays to all,

  Joseph D. Assmus
  Office of Sleep and Circadian Studies
  School of Medicine, Univ of Calif