[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminid campaign, Lew Gramer (HA!)

Like many of my fellow observers in the Northeast it seems, my Geminid
campaign this year was pretty gol-dog-nab-durn disappointing!

Various layers of cloudcover, from snow-bearing Scud all the way up to
barely perceptible cirrostratus, plagued me the four nights I was available
for active observing. Only last night was completely free of clouds for
much of the night: I had to be at work this morning at 3am, but I would
STILL have observed if not for the head-cold I (SOMEHOW) contracted this
weekend...

Total observing time for the five nights attempted so far: Teff ~= 1.0.
For comparison, here are my results from last year's GEMs: Teff = 0.0!

This one hour of active counting was max night, in a high ice haze or CS
cover, so that moonlight wrought havoc with my LM - most of my star counts
had to be at Zenith, and I only made mid 4.0s on average... IMO report to
follow.

No wonder the mighty Geminids are historically so widely underrated by
writers from Northern climes! Did anyone on these lists from the
Northeastern US fair better? Anyway, for '98 I plan on being somewhere
SOUTH in mid-December...

Disgruntled Postal Lew