[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Greenland event

Hello to all,

This mail is most notably destinated to some of the Danish colleagues.
First: I
want to emphasize that I really appreciate all the news. But I just want
to point out that a large bolide does not necessarily mean that an impact
must have occured. There is difference between a bolide apparition and a
bolide impacting. Many bright bolides do not make it to the ground. The
eyewitness-reports are spectacular indeed (as far as I can judge from my
very limited mastery of Danish: but I am able to read parts of it), but
consider a fireball in the -20 to -25 magnitude range in darkness: that
would account for the reports. But it does not necessarily mean that
something impacted, as Jens has corrrectly noted by the way. There have been
earlier fireballs in this range that
did not. So I think it is now crucial that focus is on that aspect: did,
or did not something impact? That means: trjecvtory and end height
reconstructions, reconnaissance of the possible terminal location. Untill
that time it is better to
speak of a BOLIDE apparition, as Jens did, than of an 'impact' that is by
no means certain.

Meanwhile, we keep very interrested! Good luck to the Danish with their
research efforts, and hope to hear more results soon.

-Marco Langbroek (DMS)