[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FWD RE: (meteorobs) Rocks, not metal.

>	Keith,
>	Look for a book titled "Rocks from Space". by O. richard Norton.
>	George Zay

George, Thanks for the tip.  I've now got that book along with several
others on the history of metal usage by mankind.

Kevin, Thanks for the info regarding those meteorites--the Tent, woman, and
Dog.  This is the kind of information that interests me as it ties the
earliest use of iron to meteorites.  It seems that any kind of
"metallurgical refining" through the atmosphere is unnecessary if "native"
iron (i.e, nearly pure metal--not in the oxide form) meteorites are found.

To all, Thanks for your comments regarding this topic and my questions.
For those who are interested, I will compile a summary of my findings
regarding the use of meteoritic iron by man and where that fits in with all
of the  other historical metallurgy.  You should probably expect this
summary to come sometime after Christmas.

Keith