[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Extraordinary Radio Meteors Today

During my daily 144 MHz two-way high-speed morse code contact schedule with
Shelby Ennis, W8WN, of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, this morning (Monday, 5
January local time), we both noted a highly unusual number of both total
reflections from each other's signals and also signal strengths. Our daily
schedule is only 15 minutes long, starting at 1215Z and concluding at
1230Z. During this time, I transmit using morse code at 1200 words per
minute during the odd minutes, while Shel transmits back to me at the same
speed during the even minutes. The use of such extremely high-speed
transmissions virtually guarantees that we will illuminate any meteors that
are capable of reflecting our 144 MHz signals throughout that 15-minute
time period.

I counted at least 24 individual "pings" from Shel, none lasting longer
than a fraction of a second. However, Shel counted at least 13 pings
lasting a fraction of a second plus another 14 "bursts" lasting between
1/2-second and 5 seconds from my signal. He also commented that my signal
strength was, at times, as strong as he has ever heard me. His signal
strength was also far above average although not as strong as I heard him
during the Leonids nor during several good "burst" during the Geminids.

Also, quite a few radio amateurs in both North America and Europe made many
attempts at "schedules" during the past weekend starting about 1 January
and going through 4 January UTC. While European activity was generally
lower than desired and expected due to extremely high winds throughout the
Continent, sufficient European amateurs were active throughout the period
that any peak in the Quadrantids shower most likely would have been
noticed; however, none was. In North America, there appeared to be several
time periods during which the normal random meteor "ping" count appeared to
be somewhat higher than usual; however, it never appeared to get as high as
expected based on past performance for the Quadrantids shower. Several
long-distance contacts over 1000 miles were completed, which would not have
been expected with the usual sporadic meteors; thus, there was some
evidence of Quadrantids meteors, but the quantity was unexpectedly very low.

It will be very interesting to see the reports from both Europe and North
America radio meteor monitoring stations, as it now appears as if those
reports might be the only indicator of when the Quadrantids may have
peaked, if, indeed, it ever did!

Clear skies,

SteveH
Shrewsbury Massachusetts
Amateur Radio Meteor Scatter Station Ko0U