[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) N.E.A.R. Spacecraft Observation

I set my alarm for 12:10, pulled on some warm clothes, and went about
1/2 mile to a dark spot on Greers Ferry Lake in central Arkansas.  It
was 12:28 when I started watching for the N.E.A.R. spacecraft in
Perseus.  I started out by tracing the stars in Perseus.  About 12:31 I
saw an extra star about 1.5 degrees west of Epsilon Perseus.
Unfortunately I didn't realize it was NEAR until a minute or so later I
noticed it was gone.  It definitely never reached the Magnitude of
Capella here.  I would estimate the magnitude at 3.5 when I was looking
at it.  I would have noticed if it had gotten much brighter.

I watched for meteors for the next 30 minutes with a LM of about 5.5 and
saw none.