[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Jan 21/22 obs. meteors and [no] Tempel-Tuttle

<< Before the meteor observations (and a second attempt after), I tried to
 get a look at the Leonid comet Temple-Tuttle. That proved a
 dissappointment... I tried to locate it for an hour using my 4.5"
 Newtonian (36x, over 1 degree of field), my 20x80 binoculars and 7x50
 binoculars. It was not difficult to find the location where it should be,
 but there really was nothing there that looked like a comet... So either
 it is much fainter than expected, or otherwise very diffuse. After
 quiting the attempt, I had no difficulty in sweeping up messier 1 (crab
 nebula) with my 20x80, and I also located a number of obscure clusters in
 the area. Well, I'll keep trying if coming evenings allow.

I too attempted to look for T-T with the same results. I was looking thru a
Celestron 6" Newtonian (f/4.5). I too thought that the comet was a lot dimmer
than expected. In my light polluted area I was still seeing stars to the mag.
mid-10's.
However when I looked up the most recent orbital elements - they were
different than the historical elements inplace in my planetarium program
(Project Pluto's Guide 4.0) and the difference put it more than a degree from
its predicted position. My feeling now is that the elements may need to be
refined some more and it may be out there in a slightly different position.
Will try again soon if it ever stops raining.

Kevin