[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [Greenland Fireball]

[Forwarded by Lew...]

(Cross posted to ASTRO, IMO-news, and meteorite-list.
I'm not a member of the last one, but I was encouraged to send any
news regarding the possible imapct in Southern Greenland. A Danish
version has been posted on the Danish list Astrolist.)

Hi all

As I have posted earlier om ASTRO and Astrolist (I forgot IMO-News,
sorry!, fortunately Henrik Persson forwarded my, and others, report to
members of that list), a huge bolide was observed in south-west
Greenland 9. Dec. 97. Satellite images from that date show a dark
cloud in Southern Greenland - a possible impact? The images are
avaible at Dundee Satellite Receiving Station:
http://www.sat.dundee.acdot uk/abin/browse/avhrr/1997/12/9/

I've just seen Keld Rasmussen's (hej Keld!!) posting about eye
witness reports (sent to IMO-News and meteorite-list), so I will not
give any reports. Instead I have done some investigations myself.

At the moment it's generel believed that no impact has occurred. Well,
at least no impact connected with the observed dark cloud on satellite
photos from 9. Dec. 97. It is believed that the cloud is just an
ordinary meteorological phenomenon.

But if so, it should be possible to find the same structures on other
satellite photos.

And that it is!! I checked satellite photos (again from Dundee) on all
dates in the periods Nov. 96, Dec. 96, Nov. 97 and Dec. 97 until 9.
Dec. 97.

On photos from 10. Nov. 96 two similar dark clouds are seen in the
same area of Greenland. Dark clouds can be seen on images from other
dates too, but less clearly.

So, most likely conclusion must be: *no* huge impact in Southern
Greenland, just a coincidence.....

Hilsen
Jens.

-- Jens Sveistrup, Astrolist