[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Columbia river object: news...

Hello,

Some time ago there has been some messages on this newsgroup about a
strange flaming object coming down into the Columbia River. I had some
private com's with somewhone who's name and e-mail adres I unfortunately
cannot recall.

The point is, that I received the newest issue of 'Meteoritics &
Planetary Science' today. In it is an article by Dacobo, SpAlding,
Ceplecha, Fierroz, Tamazian and Onda: about a mysterious 'bright flying
object' over Spain on Jan 18, 1994, that was NOT a meteoric fireball, but
bears a conspicuous resemblance to the event described for the columbia
river. They tie it to an hypothesis about vents unloading gasses into the
atmosphere that rise, and then static electricity creates the 'fireball'
(but their story does not sound likely to me). In the Spanish case, there
is a possible 'impact' feature, that is VERY peculiar in many aspects
(they actually think it is a 'blow-out' instead of an impact.).
The Spanish object started at about 25 km altitude, descended to about
2.5 km altitude, velocity only 1 to 3 km/s. All very odd! Never heard of
anything like this before. Anyway, perhaps some new light on the latest
columbia river, Washington event?

-Marco

PS: note that Meteoritics & Planetary Science is a very serious,
scientific journal.