[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Observations Jan 27/28 ZAYGE

Well....Last night, January 27/28, 1998 I was able to make my second night of
meteor observations for the year. My first was the Quadrantids on Jan 2/3.  It
felt good "getting back in the saddle again". The skies were clear and dark
all night. No moon to pester me any. I had an estimated LM of about 6.0. In
almost 7 hours of observing, I plotted a total of 34 meteors. Very low
activity...but expected for this time of year. The brightest meteor was a -1.
I operated two guided wide angled camera's. I might have captured the -1, but
won't know until I develop the film. I haven't examined my plots yet, but I
might have recorded a couple Virginids, but the rest were sporadics. Though
the skies were clear, it was very cold. It seemed to have reached the low
20'sF. That would make the Monkey Factor a solid 2. It was also very dry, so I
wasn't plagued with frost. But that bucket of rain water was frozen solid at
the base of the observatory, so I know it got cold. I hope to observe again
tonight...but I'm keeping an eye on the weather forecast. It's suppose to rain
tomorrow and I don't really want to get up there and watch the clouds roll in.
George Zay