[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor stream activity 5 (fwd)

---------- Doorgestuurd bericht ----------
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 18:20:36 +0100
From: Casper ter Kuile <pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl>
To: Dutch Meteor Society:  ;
Subject: Meteor stream activity 5

>AN:  YJ223-0040See Contents-Page
>RT:  Bibliographic-Record
>PT:  Journal
>TI:  Meteor stream activity .5. The Quadrantids, a very young stream
>AU:  Jenniskens-P; Betlem-H; deLignie-M; Langbroek-M; vanVliet-M
>RP:  Jenniskens, P; AMES RES CTR, MAIL STOP 239-4; MOFFETT FIELD; CA 94035;
>USA
>IN:  DUTCH METEOR SOC, NL-2318 NB LEIDEN, NETHERLANDS
>SO:  ASTRONOMY-AND-ASTROPHYSICS. NOV 1997; 327 (3) : 1242-1252
>DT:  Article
>PY:  1997
>IS:  0004-6361
>LA:  English
>AB:  This paper presents the first large set of precisely reduced orbits of
>Quadrantid meteoroids. These orbits were ob-l rained from photographic
>observations during the 1995 return of the Quadrantid stream. The orbits
>refer to the main peak of the activity curve, with an unidentified few
>being part of a broad background component. The measured dispersion of
>orbits is less than from previous data obtained by less accurate
>techniques.-In combination with existing stream models, we conclude that
>the main component is only about 500 years young, much less than the
>5000-7500 year age that was widely assumed before. This main peak is now
>interpreted as an ''outburst'', with an evolution history similar to other
>near-comet type outbursts, while the background is thought to be the
>classical ''annual'' dust component. The stream does not originate from
>comet 96P/Machholz !. Rather? the parent object may be hiding as an
>asteroid-like object in a high-inclination orbit. An estimate of that orbit
>is given.
>AI:  Yes
>JS:  SPACE-SCIENCE
>KA:  comets-; meteors,-meteoroids
>KP:  DUST-TRAILS; ORBITS-; COMETS-
>CC:  Physical-Chemical-and-Earth-Sciences
>RF:  68
>GA:  YJ223
>UD:  9801

Leonids-'98? A once (twice?) in your lifetime appearance! You can't afford
to miss it!

Casper ter Kuile, Akker 145, NL-3732 XD, De Bilt, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-30-2203170;  Fax: +31-30-2202695;  GSM: +31-6-54723974
E-mail1: pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl;  E-mail2: casper.ter.kuile@rivmdot nl; UIN: 3462901
WWW: http://www.pidot net/~terkuile/meteors/dms.htm