[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FWD: Xi Bootids Alert

From: Stop Light Pollution! <GLIBA@grovx0.gsfc.nasadot gov>
To: meteorobs@latrade.com
Subject: Xi Bootids may return

                 METEOR ALERT for possible Xi Bootid Meteors

    Next Friday morning, February 6th, or sooner, there may be a repeat
showing
of the possible Xi Bootid meteor shower, which was seen last year from the
Florida Keys, during the annual Winter Star Party. I saw 14 meteors in
about
2 1/2 hours from a radiant near Xi Bootis. I estimated the location of the
putative radiant as best I could as I wasn't plotting. If I hadn't see
seven
meteors from the same area during the first hour, from 7:23 to 8:23 U.T.,
it
would have been hard to estimate a radiant.  As I didn't have any charts
for
plotting, instead of sticking my head in the sand, I decided to try to
locate
the radiant, which I estimated to be near the star Xi Bootis.

    Once I was fixed on the radiant, which was not hard to do after seeing
7
meteors the first hour coming from Xi Bootis, I was strict when assigning
any
association to it. As I knew that personal bias can play evil tricks, I put
limit of five degrees on the size of the radiant. This is smaller than what
the
IMO uses for shower associations when plotting. After a total of seven
hours
of observing from Feb. 5/6 to Feb. 8/9, I determined that 26 meteors of
medium
speed were seen coming from a possible new radiant near the star Xi Bootis.

    George Zay reported seeing nothing from this area for the past few
years,
and last year two other IMO observers reported seeing nothing, but none of
them
observed at the same time as I did last year, and the other two IMO
observers
were out too early in the night. Interestingly, about three hours of
enhanced
radio meteor activity was reported by noted radio meteor observer Maurice
De
Meyere of Deurle, Belgium, on February 4/5 1996 U.T. according to the Radio
Meteor Bulletin No. 31 (March 1996),  but as luck would have it, his
equipment
was not working on February 5/6 last year.  Last year I was caught off
guard,
and had no star maps to plot the Xi Bootid meteors that I saw, but I still
think the radiant is within ten degrees of my estimate. This next week it
is
important to look again for these meteors, to see if it they return. The
best
time to look are the hours before dawn. Plotting is highly recomended.

   Below is some data from my observations last year of possible Xi Bootids

     DATE         UT      % Clear  LM   Magn. Dist.  0  1  2  3  4  5

Feb.5/6, 1997 07:23-08:23  .85     6.2               0  0  0  4  3  0
              08:23-09:23  .80     6.2               0  0  0  2  1  2
Feb.6/7, 1997 08:36-09:36  .66     5.8               0  0  1  1  1  0
              09:36-10:36  .75     6.1               0  0  0  0  3  0
Feb.7/8, 1997 08:37-09:37  1.0     6.3               0  0  0  1  1  0
              09:37-10:37  1.0     6.4               0  0  1  0  0  1
Feb 8/9, 1997 08:25-09:25  .66     5.8               0  0  0  0  2  0

Note: As can be seen, the rates seemed to drop off after the 7th.
      Two additional Xi Bootids were seen incidentally after I stopped
      recording on Feb. 6th. I saw 26 meteors total from the Xi Boo area.

GWG