[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Space Station

Dear Fellow Meteor Observers,
     As a fairly new member to your organization I must say that I'm very
impressed with the knowledge, variety of background, and genuine Earth-Concern
displayed by the individuals I have met so far on-line.  Concerning Mark
Davis' note on Space Station "Alpha"....  I would hate to think you have to
appologize to this group in order to present such dramatic and splendid news.
In fact, one of the first things I noticed about Meteorobs was the seemingly
immediate and inherent acceptance of anyone as a new member, including their
individual views on even remotely related issues.
    The day after the "NEAR-Miss" as I call it, there were some articles
written relative to a convention in Cambridge concerned with Earth-Defense and
the problems associated with drumming-up a sense of urgency, funding, etc.
While my intent for this message is not to discuss that issue now, the fact
that an organization had developed to even address the issue amazed me.
Adding to that, the idea of a large group of people widely distributed within
this country and the world, tied together with computers and astronomical
equipment for the purpose of observing the sky,  well.... if you think about
it, this 'sky-net' has very powerful Earth-benevolent  potential (especially
if there are members like Lew Gramer that have equipment that allows them to
see the afterburners on a Cape Shuttle-launch....  from BOSTON!!).
    While I am a retired Air Force F-4 Phantom flyer,  I want to say that
very, very few of us in the military if ANY are Mongers anxiously awaiting the
chance to go to war and kill.... none of my peers or even anyone I ever met in
the military is like that, nor do we conspire to hide things from the public
(other than information that might damage the Nation's Security if
compromised)... at the level I was at anyway.
     My opinion is, that it is a natural step in the evolution of a planet's
society to eventually reach the state of one "global" government.  Those
planets' societies that make it there.... make it.  Those that don't....
don't.   Anyway,  the point I'm trying to make on this is;  I see all around
me now signs that we're moving in the right direction.... a UN organization
that has some teeth if needed,  a global economy that is internationally
dependent,  more and more organizations such as this one - with worries about
the 'Planet' - not just the nation,  and last but not least - the Internet
itself.  I know I'll get comments on this, but it's how I feel.... so, fire
away.

Maj Dave Garrison, USAF Ret
San Antonio, TX
F4DEG@aol.com