[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) HELLO EVERYONE!

Subject:     HELLO EVERYONE!
Sent:        1/30/98 1:39 AM
To:          meteorobs@latrade.com

HELLO EVERYONE!

Since I am new to the meteorobs list, I would like to introduce myself to
the group.

I am 21 years old, from Ottawa (Ontario) and have been interested to
astronomy in general since I was born. As a kid, nothing or nobody got me
really into astronomy. I was simply always awed by the sight of the stars
and their mysterious beauty in the heavens. I could gaze at them for
several hours on a clear summer night. I would admire their curious
patterns and wonder about the strange diffuse band appearing like a river
in the sky. Once, as I was just about asleep in my bed, I somehow
partially opened my eyes, facing the bedroom window's tiny view of an
area in the sky. I noticed an odd greenish white glow moving in the sky.
I kept staring for 2 minutes still half asleep when I suddenly jolted out
of bed and ran through the house in a panic yelling "There's Northern
Lights outside!!" to other familly members. It was my first aurora
witnessed and certainly a memorable event as we all watched from the
bedroom window. Even the neighbours called to announce me the event.
Puzzled by these celestial events, I headed to the local library to dig
up as much information as I could on anything involving astronomy. I must
have read and admired all the books in the astro section many times over
and over again! The more I learned about astronomy, the more the passion
grew.

As I spent most of my childhood time looking at the stars, I would
occasionally spot the shooting star and perhaps a satellite or two. One
summer evening in 1985, I was looking at  the sky for a while and did not
see much meteors. A little disapointed, I began packing up. I took a last
glance up when to my surprise a brilliant meteor flashed leaving a thick
train lasting several seconds. I could swear I actually heard the meteor
burning.

Ever since that fireball event, I was hooked to meteor observing. I would
patiently wait hours hoping another fireball would appear. Later at age
15, I created my own little astronomy club involving other children to
participate in different astro activities. That club eventually became
organised, more serious and had its own elaborate meeting room.
I became very dedicated to the success of each meetings held twice a
month! Emphasis was put on meteor observing as well a plethora of
activities/talks. The most memorable group observing watch was done for
Perseid max 1991 (two superbly clear nights!) I also helped build a
realistic summer sky planetarium/meteor simulator inside a huge dome tent.

The astro club lasted almost 3 years, after which time and funds became a
problem (Quite a big project to undergo considering my young age!).

I have been keeping notes, data on major showers since 1988. Most of them
I intended to keep for myself since I had no idea at the time that meteor
watching had any real scientific usefulness. I was simply satisfied to
reread the reports later on and remember the events of a memorable night
under the stars.

I realised the importance of meteor data analysis after reading an August
94 article in Astronomy magazine. This prompted me to send my first
report to meteor organisations (Perseids 1994).
I learned the standard IMO way of recording meteors and sky conditions in
order to provide accurate reports. Since then, I have forwarded all my
reports by mail to Robert Lunsford for the Meteor Section of ALPO. Here
is an overview so far of the data provided to the ALPO Meteor Section:
In 1995, I logged  62.61 hrs observing  753 meteors (41 nights)
In 1996, I logged 120.32 hrs observing 1506 meteors (43 nights)
In 1997, I logged  86.91 hrs observing 1643 meteors (38 nights)
("hrs" represent true observing time looking at the sky)

Today, my main interest remains primarily visual meteor observing (with
occasionnal photography work). I do own a C8 scope when I feel like doing
a bit of planetary and deep sky observing (just for the fun and
satisfaction of it)

I am now looking forward to the meteorobs mailling list to send my
reports faster (electronically) and to rapidly communicate and exchange
news, ideas, etc...with other meteor observers around the world. 1998
promises to be a potentially very exciting meteor year!

Pierre Martin
p.martin@Cyberusdot ca