[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Large Meteor Sighting (fwd)

---------- Doorgestuurd bericht ----------
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 21:36:42 +0100 (MET)
From: C.R.ter Kuile <pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl>
To: Langbroek <marcolan@stad.dsldot nl>, Haas <delpsurf@cistrondot nl>,
    Betlem <betlem@strw.leidenunivdot nl>
Cc: PEGASOFT <pegasoft@cc.ruudot nl>
Subject: Large Meteor Sighting (fwd)

Forwarded message:
>From ne9z@sprynet.com  Wed Feb  4 20:39:46 1998
From: ne9z@sprynet.com
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:04:13 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Large Meteor Sighting
To: fidac-news@imodot net

My neighbor spotted a large meteor which at first sight thought it was a plane
coming down in flames.  It happened on either the night of 1/25/98 or 1/26/98 at
9:30 PM local MST time or 0430 GMT.  It was sighted about Southwest starting at
about 30-40 degrees elevation and descending at a steep angle toward the South
and disappearing below the horizon at about 210 degrees azimuth by compass like
it might have landed in the state of Arizona.  There was no TV or radio reports
of a downed plane; therefore, my neighbor assumes it was a large flaming meteor.

The exact longitude & latitude at this location is as follows:

West Longitude:  110 degrees - 18 minutes - 30 seconds

North latitude:  43  degrees - 51 minutes - 6  seconds

Has there been any reports of large meteors sighted in the general vicinity
described above?

Neighbor's name:  Mary Kaye Feezer

Thanks!

Bill Rinker
P.O. Box 333
Moran, Wyoming  83013
(307) 543-2444
February 4, 1998

--
|  Casper ter Kuile, Laboratory of Radiation Research, RIVM  (A11-202) |
|  S-mail work: PO-box 1, NL-3720 BA, Bilthoven, the Netherlands       |