[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Planet defense - Doomsday may be unavoidable

In message <199802090421.XAA04469@porthos.phoenixat.com>, "Victor D.
Noto" <vnn2@phoenixat.com> writes

> IMO if the world can not get its act together
> (e.g. agree to stop fighting
> useless wars) and to put real money
> into a space program so that humanity
> can leave its cradle (the Earth), or this
> is not done in time before the next
> comet strike, then this "intelligent"
> life form (humans) will get what it deserves - extinction.

Hmmm.

1. This *must* be a FAQ ... [is there a meterobs FAQ ?] ...
   is there anyone out there with a background in statistics who
   would care to estimate the chances of a significant impact on the
   Earth within, say, the next five hundred years ?

   I realise this is a rather large question .. ;)

2. Being against Bad Things and in favour of Good Things, I agree with
   you about wars being bad, but I'm not sure that having them means
   our species 'deserves' extinction.

\a

--
        Website : v2.00_b due 1st March, 1998