[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Iridium flare (was Re: (meteorobs) Sighting on 2/8/1998 - 19:05 EST)

From Wayne:
>I am working with several very helpful satellite observers >to get upo to
speen...perhaps J.C. can give us more >detyails in the iridflar program he
uses?

I use a freeware DOS program (for PC only : sorry for Mac and Unix users)
called iridflar available from the satellite observers web site :

http://www2.satellite.eu.org/sat/vsohp/iridium.html

I you do not have web access I can send you the program by email.

Of course you will need up to date satellite elements to run the program.

I use the ones available from Alan Pickup's home page at

http://www.wingardot demon.codot uk/satevo/

There is another way to predict those flares (and passages of bright
satellites too) on the web.

Go to the Satellite visibility Home Page

http://www.gsoc.dlrdot de/satvis/

Then find or register your position (this must be accurate to 1 minute for
good iridium flare prediction)

and then you can have Iridium flare predictions for 7 days, Mir passes ...
of course this won't help a lot to explain a passed phenomenon a this web
site only gives predictions, not passed ephemeris.

I have all these programs because I am also a subscriber of the SeeSat
mailing list.

For all info about satellite observation the definitive web site is

Visual Satellite Observer's Home Page

http://www2.satellite.eu.org/sat/satintro.html

Sorry for my english as I have not much time tonight to re-read myself and
my mother language is French.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Christophe 'Papou' Millot - email : papou@canl.nc
Consultant en Technologies de l'Information - IT Consultant
B.P. 13581 98803 Noumea CEDEX
Nouvelle-Caledonie - New Caledonia (22d17S, 166d28E)  UT+11
Tel/Fax/Rep : (687) 27 69 84 - Mobile : (687) 77 19 97