[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Iridium Flares - Important note to meteor ob...

>I think I saw one of these flares during my Quadrantid observatiions
>the morning of January 2/3. For a second I thought it may be a very slow
>meteor, or point meteor, but I wasn't fooled. It moves little in the
>second
>or so of the flare, and slower than any meteor I have seen. I don't think
>experianced observers will be fooled by these, but beginners might.
>GWG

Hmmm, perhaps you are right, although I can imagine some circumstances,
such as a -2 one way off to the side of your field of view, where even an
experienced observer could be fooled. I guess I'll know better when I see
one! (I would in any case suggest that you should see a confirmed one for a
 mental reference). And as bespeaks by position as a reviewer of beginners
reports, I admit that my biggest concern is with what they saw..dot since I
wasn't there, I can't make that judgement.
	The tumbling satellite I mentioned would have been a much tougher one
to discriminate since the duration was so short there was no movement
detectable in that time.

Wayne