[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) David McCarter's Posting on Probabilities of REALLY BIG fireballs.

Don't sweat this one, David! The folks on the list appreciate you bringing
this information into our discussion, whether you remembered it all
perfectly or not.

>I am also struck at how neat and wonderful this net resource is to be able
>to get the facts straight from the experts.

I agree! Rapid, self-moderated dissemination of information is one of the
great boons of the Internet to mankind (and more especially to amateur
astronomers). No, we don't always get it right immediately - but we still
get it right quicker than by traditional means... :)

This is in direct contradiction to those high-sounding editorials by David
Levy and the editors in the latest Sky & Telescope! These were to the
effect that we poor, childish amateurs must restrain ourselves from
communicating late breaking observations via email, until our betters, the
professional community (and presumably the print media like S&T) were able
to officially bless them!

Well, so much for "golden fingers"... ;> Comments on that topic are
certainly welcome! I was so incensed by Mr. Levy's attitude - at one point
comparing supernova and comet hunting to some kind of amateur sporting
event - that I've had a mind to draft a reply ever since. Any ammunition
(or reality checks!) relating to this topic would therefore be mighty
helpful... :)

Lew