[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ARCHIVE RESEND Re: (meteorobs) Probabilities of REALLY BIG fireballs...

[Originally bounced by the meteorobs email archiver... -Lew]

-- [ From: Robert Lunsford LUNRO.IMO.USA@prodigy.com * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

Kim Wrote:
> I have a question. Since in the last several weeks there has been
> reports of many fireballs over south eastern Ontario, Michicgan and
> some of the Eastern states, has there been any mention of some sort
> of astereoid breakup, or small meteor field to produce these in such
> a short period of time??

Kim,

Although this time of year is known for weak activity this is a good
time (now through April) for sporadic fireballs. Although the dates are
close together the Earth has travelled several million miles through
space in this span of time. That is a lot of real estate so I would not
consider an asteroid breakup or a meteor field to be the source of this
activity. It just seems that many more folks are watching out and
reporting such events.

Bob