[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Iridium Flares

>Jean-Chritophe suggested this site:
>
>http://www.gsoc.dlrdot de/satvis/
>
>Then find or register your position (this must be accurate to 1 minute for
>good iridium flare prediction)
>

>Then Lew said:
>
>but I used the
>"Select your location from the Database" option instead.
>The site gives you the option of modifying your location
>anyway, so this worked out to be a good starting point.
>
>This worked for me, Good Luck!
>Now I've got to see if I can get up at 6:05 AM tomorrow for a -6!! flare
>scheduled, and get these stupid clouds out of the way to see it!!
>
>Wayne Tv
>Metrologist
>Meteorologist
>Meteoricist
>Nerd

Hello all!

After exploring this site and selecting my location from the Database, I
was able to catch a scheduled -5 flare up 53 degrees, as I was walking on
my way home Feb 14 at 18:34:22 EST. A slow, gradual brightening and then
slowly fading away. It lasted about 10-12 sec and disapeared entirely
after. Satellite location was very accurate but intensity off by a couple
of magnitudes to appear visually more like a -3. I need to enter more
accurate positions for my exact site to correct this.

I would think that by seeing a few of these events, an observer will
quickly come to recognize them for what they really are. I will only call
a meteor when I am sure I see one. Anything appearing on the edge of my
field, is to my opinion too suspicious to call accurately. I like to be
sure about exactly what I see.

I hope to see a few more scheduled flares before my next meteor watch. I
dont want to get distracted too long every time one of these things
appear in my field of view.

Clear skies!

Pierre

Pierre Martin