[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor colors

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Interesting stuff, Ulrich! Are you eventually interested in doing
> spectroscopic research on meteors, or is your interest correlating
> visually-observed colors with those recorded on video? Or is your interest
> mainly aesthetic?

Some time ago I4ve investigated the correlation of the colour index of
meteors with the magnitude based on visuell observations and find out, that
there is an correlation in the same manner as found by other autors by using
photographic observations or visuell observations through coloured filters.
I think, that it is possible to determine the colour of an meteor visuell only
for meteors brighter than +1 mag.
The main result of the work was, that the brighter the meteor is, the more it is
coloured blueish or greenish and vice versa the fainter it is the more redish it
is.

Using video observations for this problem ist now only an idea, but possible
becource we have 5 equal video cameras in our working group.

I hope I can realize this idea in next future.

Clear skies!
Ulrich