[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Unique Fireball sighting

Wayne wrote:

>I don't know...something strikes me wrong here...2  degrees per second for
>10 seconds? I know the KCG's are slow, but 10 seconds seems like an
>awfully long amount of time. Oh well, Ulrich, back to the books for me
>...I have to check that math with my own eyes :-) To me it sounds more
>like a debris reentry, but I'll let you know after I check the numbers.

Hello Wayne!

I think you are right. Although I saw the fireball quite a few years ago,
it was so spectacular the picture is still fresh in my mind. The meteor
motion was indeed VERY slow! which I would think too slow for a KCG. As I
said, no other meteor was seen in all my years of observing with such an
unusually long duration and brilliant fragmentation! Meteor
characteristics also made it clear I was not seeing a simple satellite
mirror flare. As the meteor disapeared behind my house, I got up from my
comfortable long chair, walked deeper in the yard and still had time to
see the meteor burn out. I then stood still for several minutes simply
amazed by the event.

That rewarding evening under the stars is one big reason that brought me
to more serious meteor observing later on!

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario, Great White North
Meteor observing and Graphic design