[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Meteor colors

This keeps sounding more and more interesting, Ulrich! I wondered what sort
of scatter you have found in visual and visual/filtered color observations?
One of the patterns which many observers seem to notice (even much less
experienced ones like me) is that there is HUGE diversity in color
perception among both meteor observers and "civilians" alike.

At a number of large observing parties in the past, I've witnessed
fireballs with groups of "down to earth" astronomers. Polling them
consistently about their color perceptions, there are invariably at least
half as many colors quoted as observers polled... And colors are all over
the spectrum.

>there is an correlation in the same manner as found by other autors by using
>photographic observations or visuell observations through coloured filters.

What sort of correlations have you observed and read about, Ulrich?

>The main result of the work was, that the brighter the meteor is, the more
>it is  coloured blueish or greenish and vice versa the fainter it is the
>more redish it is.

This result intrigued me even more, as it's exactly the OPPOSITE of what
you'd expect based on deep-sky observing: usually for nebulae whose surface
brightness is JUST high enough to stimulate an observer's photopic vision,
a green or greenish-blue will be the FIRST color observed. Only from very
strong diffuse sources will users see red or - more rarely - yellow.

Sorry to carry on about this one, y'all: I've always been fascinated with
visual meteor colors, and what if anything they mean scientifically. :)

Clear skies, and please post more when you can Ulrich!
Lew