[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) http://www.flatoday.com/space/today/02169

<< Is an extinction period
 beating at our door in the form of mounting numbers of bolides? >>

From the quotes I've read from Walter Alvarez - extinctions seem to follow a
"time table" which is his Nemesis (sp?)  theory. This theory says that our Sun
has an unseen companion star (Nemesis - brown dwarf) that orbits the sun. Part
of its orbit takes it close to the OOrt Cloud which dislodges some comets
sending them everywhere including toward the inner solar system. I'm doing
this from memory, but the time for the next extinction is still several 10's
of millions of years away so we shouldn't worry about it. If anyone is
interested I could look up the exact facts.

I think that these bolides are coincedental, and we are noticing them more by
being involved in the meteorics end of astronomy.

Kevin