[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fw: RE- Much Bolide activity being reported?

Thanks for reposting that email from Marsden, too, Victor! (BTW, I hope you
got his permission before forwarding it! Sometimes that's easy to forget.)

I know I found some interesting new information in it regarding NEOs... I
wonder what he bases his "2%" relative incidence estimate for long-period
objects on? Just the number of recorded perihelia from these objects vs.
short-period ones? Or the fact that long-period asteroids (as opposed to
comets) are very rare, while there's no lack of shorter-period ones? The
threat from long-period "heavy comets" is something I've wondered about
ever since I heard about NEOs.

Clear skies,
Lew