[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Fireballs o' Doom

Hi again Lew

I agree that scientist should be held to a higher standard and that is why
I made your "why" question to him (Dr. Revelle)directly. You see even
scientist communicate on various levels.  To students in one why, to
journalist in another but what your seeking is an abstract work which may
be put in a science journal in which his peers will review and weigh his
words. The last being a much higher standard.  Scientist are very cautious
on the last level of communication with peers.  Personally I would not want
to  discourage communication from scientist when they want to speak what's
on their mind and get their gut feeling (insight)on things. Lew do you see
what I mean? Good Ideas will spring out over the long run in a good old
debate between the scientist and the truth if there is such a thing may
even be the result.
Your list can be a good vehicle for all type of communication I think.

Great listings,
Victor

[one response between your lines]

3
> million years SHY of an impact. (Or maybe 13 million, depending on how
you
> interpret the quote.) Also, Dr. Revelle (who I don't know by the way, but
> others on the list seem to) doesn't give any indication WHY he suspects
> fireball, bolide, and/or meteorite fall rates have increased. Is he just
> saying this based on the fact that two meteorite falls (Greenland and El
> Paso) were reported recently? (I wasn't aware of a meteorite fall from
the
> Wisconsin fireball - was there one?)
>
> By the way, I couldn't find anyplace in the articles you posted where any
> scientists speculated that "these kinds of events usually precede larger
> impacts of the extinction size"... For one thing, how in the world would
we
> know that? Fireball reports from the dinosaurs??

From article:
[Revelle said history may give us some insight into the meaning of the
increase in fireball activity. ]

About 60 million years ago, an asteroid crashed into the Earth and kicked
up enough dust to blot out the sun. Some scientists believe this resulted
in the death of more than 80 percent of all animals and led to the
extinction of dinosaurs.

"These events seem to occur every 60 million years, give or take 10
million," he said. "We're about three million years short of 60 million.

"In order to defend the Earth from a large meteor, we would need to know
about it while it was months away to deflect it," he said. "If we knew
about it when it was weeks away, it would be too late."]