[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: (meteorobs) Re: Fireballs o' Doom

Wayne spouted:
>And then "scientists" accept these obviously incorrect reports as fact.
>	Sorry to rant on, but the inaccuracy of the press, whose purpose
after >all, bottom line, is to get people to watch the news, or buy the
>newspaper,
>is substantially different from those who seek to glean scientific truth
>from this information.

And just to continue this thought a bit further. There is no guarantee that
proper infomation spoken by a scintist or astronomer will be the same when
it makes it into print, or on to the evening news. I ahve seen my own words,
 and the words of reputable astronomers  <g> twisted into a nearly
unrecognizable from by the time they made it to soy ink and newsprint. So,
I am not accusing anyone necessarily of not checking the facts, but rather
I wish to get to the truth of the matter. I find that a follow up call or
letter is often required to either correct distortions of the information I
have provided, or to pat on the back the exceptional real journalist who
takes the time to understand the information they are provided and write it
correctly. Regrettably, they are far too rare.

Wayne